Co-Op Work Experience Reimbursement Program
This page has been created so that employers can learn how to have 1/2 of the wages that they pay our Co-op students reimbursed for up to $5000!
See information below. The application can be found HERE
Workforce Solutions Co-Op/Work Experience Reimbursement Program - Employer Application Criteria
Workforce Solutions for North Central PA, Inc. was awarded funding for the 2022-2023 Program Year from the PA Department of Labor and Industry to increase Co-op and Work Experience opportunities in our six county region. This program is a great strategy to assist in retaining our young people and making them aware of the career opportunities in their own backyard. The program continues to make quality connections between students who participate in the Co-Op and/or related work experience opportunities and the employers who hire them. The goal of this program is to expose our youth to the many opportunities in our region through employment that will encourage them to stay or return after high-school and/or post-secondary education. Our hope is that this will provide a pipeline of skilled workers for our employers into the future. Here is your chance to provide our youth with a positive and meaningful experience!
Eligible employers include Pennsylvania for-profit and/or non-profit employers. Eligible students must be in an approved co-op program or work experience that relates to the student’s program of study. Employers must pay a minimum of 9.00 per hour, and provide at least a 6-week experience for 10-30 hours per week for a maximum of $5,000 per student. Exceptions to the minimum wage requirement will be considered on a case-by-case basis by Workforce Solutions. Employers will be reimbursed 50% of the hourly wage. Employers should complete the attached application for each student to be hired, and submit to Terry at email@example.com. Depending on the number of applications received, a limit per employer may be issued.
Applications will be reviewed and upon approval employers must agree to the following conditions:
1. Co-op and/or Work Experience programs must take place between October 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023.
2. Employers will be asked to provide copies of all training plans and agreements (see application).
3. Prior to the start of program activity, employers must establish a pay schedule and coordinate with designated supervisory staff how timesheets will be accurately completed, submitted and processed so that interns are paid in a timely manner and only for actual hours worked.
4. Hourly wage must be at least 9:00 per hour (other rate considered on a case-by-case basis).
5. Employers hiring Co-op/Work Experience students under the age of 18 must ensure that the supervisor and anyone having on-going direct contact with any minors throughout the internship experience has the proper Child Protective Services Law (CPSL) clearances.
6. Employers hiring Co-op/Work Experience students under the age of 18 must ensure that the student has secured the work permit.
7. Prior to the start of the Co-Op or Work Experience, employers should share policies pertaining to short-term employment such as time and attendance policies, call-off policies, dress code policy, code of conduct, discipline/termination, pay schedule etc. with supervisory staff and interns.
8. Following conclusion of the program, employers must agree to provide Workforce Solutions access to each student for the completion of a survey to gather required reporting information for Labor and Industry that includes: education level of the intern, feedback from each intern regarding what they valued about the experience, what their future plans are, etc.
9. Employers approved for Co-op or Work Experience positions reimbursement must complete a customer satisfaction survey that provides overall satisfaction with the program as well as suggestions for improvement and future interest in participating in a similar program.
Please complete both sections of the attached application found HERE and send required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our office at 814-245-1835 or email at the above address. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the funding is depleted.
Equal Opportunity Employment Program
Auxiliary Aids and Services are available to individuals with disabilities